Gokul

What is the meaning of the quote

"When i lived amonst the roots

They pleased me more than flowers did."

Pablo Neruda

June 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

K. J. Shibu Kallada
Administrator

Flowers are surely beautiful. but there is no flower without the roots. Every society has some basic conventions, beliefs, way of life etc. which make that culture a unique one.To come back to your roots is more enjoyable and meaningful than to enjoy the superficial aspects of one's life and culture and to  live luxuriously, fashionably

--

Shibu Kallada

June 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gokul

I think the interpretation given in the teacher resource book has influenced your understanding of the text. Please read the whole poem, especially the lines before the quotes.

1. why is the poem titled "Too Many Names?"

2. What is the overall theme of the poem?

3. What is the poet critiquing?

4.  What is the "root" he refers to?

5. what is the "flowers" he refers to?

6. why does he say "the skin of the earth" in the lines before the quotes given.

A quote cannot be read in seclusion and given any kind of (mis)interpretation. The quote is part of the larger picture the poet is trying to convey through the poem.

June 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

K. J. Shibu Kallada
Administrator

Thank you for poking me to read the whole poem.

Who doesn't know that a poem is a whole entity and its message can be extracted only by reading the poem itself?.

My reply was only to explain the 'roots' and 'flowers' in the context of the unit. Text book makers seemed to have included the lines not to have a greater philosohical discussion in the 9th std classroom. Most probably their idea would be that the students might read it to get an awareness of the importance of the 'roots'

By the way your lesson plans are excelnt..!

--

Shibu Kallada

June 12, 2013 at 3:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gokul

Thanks. But as  teachers and critics, I believe we are doing injustice to the poet and the poem by misinterpreting it and quoting it out of the context. Furthermore, the 'roots and flowers' have a different meaning in the poem and in no way can it be interpreted to suit the need of the textbook makers. Any piece of literature invariably leads to a "greater philosophical discussion." That's what we do in the classroom. As such, this poem/quote should also lead to a philosophical discussion (not material) about roots and flowers.

June 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gokul

More lesson plans will be posted soon in my blog

Gokulnath Ammanathil

June 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zain

I had posted the whole poem 'Too Many Names' before.

--

Zain

June 30, 2013 at 12:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gokul

That's great Zain. Please provide a detailed analysis of the poem. (Preferably your own). Let's have a discussion on that.

July 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

R.G.Gopalakrishna pillai

I can ,no doubt ,agree with the view of Mr.Gokul in this case of " flowers and roots".Simply ,when I lived among the common people of the society I felt more happiness than with the high class society people. Without the basic community there is no existence to the superiors.All their superiority is based on caste  creed and to some extent     on    economic status. These are created by man himself. To think more, financial superiority is contributed by the so called downtrodden community through their hardworking.

July 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MUHAMMAD AMEEN

Gokul at June 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM

What is the meaning of the quote

"When i lived amonst the roots

They pleased me more than flowers did."

Pablo Neruda

The great poet Neruda says that no one should forget his culture and identity . A flower may be beautiful by its colour and shape but that flower hatched to such a position because of it's roots. The root always works for the betterment and prosperity of the plant. But nobody cares the root. People are fascinated to the beauty of the flower. But the hardworks of roots are neglected. But not showing any resentment, it works till its last breath.

As to children, they shouldn' t forget their roots when they become flowers. Here, flower means all the prosperies in future. Children should not forget their roots. Roots are their parents, teacher and all well wishers of their childhood period.....

--
July 4, 2013 at 1:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gokul

Is that the real meaning conveyed in the lines and the poem as a whole Mr. Ameen? Your analysis of the lines illustrate the physical/ biological/ material purpose of roots. If, what you argue is correct, then can you explain the meaning of  "the skin of the earth" given in the preceeding lines of the quotes given...

The same question apply to Mr. R.G. Gopalakrishnan.

I would appreciate if both of you could answer the 6 short questions i have raised in the beginning of the discussion.

July 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.